Thursday, January 19, 2012

Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark: Book Review





Title: Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark
Author: Ridley Pearson
Publisher: Disney Editions
My Rating: 4 Stars
Buy The Book:
-HERE-

"In this fantastical thriller, five young teens tapped as models for theme park “guides” find themselves pitted against Disney villains and witches that threaten both the future of Walt Disney World and the stability of the world outside its walls. Using a cutting-edge technology called DHI–which stands for both Disney Host Interactive and Daylight Hologram Imaging–Finn Whitman, an Orlando teen, and four other kids are transformed into hologram projections that guide guests through the park. The new technology turns out, however, to have unexpected effects that are both thrilling and scary. Soon Finn finds himself transported in his DHI form into the Magic Kingdom at night. Is it real? Is he dreaming?

Finn’s confusion only increases when he encounters Wayne, an elderly Imagineer who tells him that the park is in grave danger. Led by the scheming witch, Maleficent, a mysterious group of characters called the Overtakers is plotting to destroy Disney’s beloved realm, and maybe more."



I've never been to Disney World, can you imagine that? As if a vital part of my childhood is somehow missing, I still am eager to visit the magical land that has enchanted fans for years. Though I can not pick off of personal experience from the park, I can try to picture it in my mind through others, movies and books, correct? I picked up Ridley Pearson's Kingdom Keepers book on Kindle to help me do just that. While these books are geared more towards kids much younger than I, a college girl, I still was able to enjoy the books immensely!


As the description above tells us, the main character of our story is Finn Whitman, among four other teens, is a new DHI (Disney Host Interactive) to Disney World. These holographic images of the kids guide tourists around the parks, spitting out information about different rides. Though they are hailed as celebrities to the parks, the children soon wish their choice had been different. For when they sleep, they enter into the parks, after dark, as their DHI selves. Upon meeting a mysterious figure named Wayne, they are told a fantastical tale about a group called the Overtakers. But who might these beings be? The animatronic pirates are the first of these creatures the children will meet, but someone else bigger than that awaits them. Maleficent, the evil sorceress from Sleeping Beauty. These Overtakers seek to take over the parks, but ultimately, they want to take over more. Through the mission that Wayne has given the five children, they are expected to search for things that Walt Disney himself has left behind to help stop the Overtakers from prevailing. But will they complete this mission in time, or will they be caught in the act?


I really did enjoy the story. At first, I was a bit hesitant, mainly because the writing wasn't as high quality as I am used to. I put on my realistic cap, though, and remembered that these were geared toward pre and younger teens. As a college sophomore, though, I really did end up quite liking the story! A few complaints was that the beginning seemed to drag on a bit and there were a few grammatical/punctuational mistakes that occurred. It wasn't enough to cause me to put the book down, however. The book turned out to be a great adventure and I very much enjoyed following the children along their dangerous paths. In fact, I've already purchased the second book on my Kindle and am waiting to read it!


I recommend these books to pre-teens on up who enjoy a good modern-day based adventure tale!





What's Coming Up Next?


The Skeleton Key, by Anthony Horowitz

Torrent, by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Life Support, by Robert Whitlow

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, by J.K. Rowling

Love on the Line, by Deeanne Gist

Kingdom Keepers: Disney at Dawn, by Ridley Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment